Sunday, May 27, 2012

31 Things :: Story 5 - Conversations


For as long as I can remember, I longed to be a mommy. The smell of Johnson’s baby wash gets me high. I can’t get enough of little piggies. I swore I’d never feed my child hot dogs, but now quickly zap a dog in the microwave like a pro. I can give my child “the look” and he knows to go to the naughty spot. I rock my little person back to sleep after a bad dream, and I kiss every boo boo. And will gladly kiss a thousand more boo boos. Because that’s what moms do. Moms rock.

But in no way did I anticipate loving the conversations I’d have with my little guy. I’m a work at home mom teaching college classes online so most of my adult conversations are via email and instant message. I talk to Jeff on the phone a few times each day, and maybe my mom or mother-in-law. But the majority of my conversations are with Sean -- the four year old going on thirty-five who could easily be a lawyer when he grows up, but my aunt says he’s too smart to be a lawyer. Thank goodness I’m on Facebook to have conversations about my conversations with Sean. The best have been documented forever…

"Sean, come clean up your toys." ... "Mommy, the problem with that is there is just too much." ... "Yep, that's why you have to pick it up."... "Well, then I quit."

"Sean, I love you to the moon and back" ... "Mommy, I love you to God and back."... He wins.

Jeff was trying to tell Sean about the Ten Commandments.  Sean said, "Daddy, don't make me use my tone with you."

Recently we were talking to Sean about how God hasn’t blessed us with a baby brother or sister for him yet, and he said, “It’s ok, don’t worry. He’s working on it.” Out of the mouths of babes.

“Mom, this bathroom is a mess! There's pee on the wall, cabinet and toilet.” 
I scream, “WHY ARE YOU PEEING ALL OVER THE BATHROOM???” Sean chuckles, “I didn't do it! My pee pee did.”

“Mommy, I love you so much I want to marry you.” … “But I'm already married to Daddy.” …”Oh, then I'll marry my Trio blocks.”

Saying prayers with Sean tonight... he said, "God, bring me a baby brother or sister, and put a baby in mommy's belly." I explain that not all brothers and sisters come to a family through mommy's belly. Sometimes they are born in another mommy's tummy (adoption), and then come to live with us. Sean replies, "Well, God can you deliver us a baby by UPS?"

"Mommy, you're the bestest thing is all of life"... now, that's a nice way to start your week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails