Thursday, May 24, 2012

31 Things :: Story 2 - Morning


I’m not a morning person. Never have been, and I’m guessing I never will be. If I had my way I would stay up until 2am and sleep until 10am. But alas, the world does not revolve around me and my alarm clock buzzes every morning at 7:30am. I hit the snooze at least once and most mornings I drag my butt out of bed at 7:39am.

Some mornings Sean crawls into bed with us, and this morning was no different. “Let’s snuggle, Mommy.” Who can resist snuggling? Depending on when he crawls into bed, we can snuggle for a while but this morning he didn’t wake up until 7:35am so it was only for a few minutes.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I either have a live class lecture or office hours online at 8am. And Tuesdays and Thursdays Sean has preschool at 8:30am. So every day we must get up and get moving. And yes, I always set my alarm for 7:30am because we don’t need much time to get ready and eat breakfast. I would rather be sleeping and I don’t shower in the morning (remember the stinky part?).

Lately we’ve been trying to get Sean to sleep later in the morning and not crawl into our bed at an ungodly early hour. We’ve told him he has to stay in his room. Sounds like a fine and dandy plan but at 6:45am when he’s talking directly into his monitor “Mommmmmy!” sounding eerily like Darth Vadar over and over and over again... not so fine. A change in strategy is required.

After dragging our butts out of bed I get Sean’s clothes & toothbrush ready for him. He goes potty,
brushes his teeth and dresses himself. Meanwhile, I’m doing the same thing. He’s pretty pokey and I usually have to tell him over and over again -- “potty, brush your teeth, and get dressed” about ten times.

Meanwhile I start making breakfast. This morning it was scrambled eggs with a bit of sharp cheddar, salt & pepper along with breakfast sausage (Jones brand which is gluten and nitrate free - yummy!). Other mornings Sean might have instant oatmeal or “crunchy” cereal (Cinnamon Toast Crunch) and I’ll make a protein shake (strawberry, blueberry or chocolate depending on my mood) for myself. And a banana to go just about every morning.

And then we’re off to start our day! Sleepy eyes and all.

1 comment:

Michele Greninger said...

Amy,

You were raised to be a "night" person. I have always been one. I would go back to bed at 8:45 AM when I sent you and your sibs to St. Walter's. I begin to function around 3 in the afternoon.

Luv Ya, Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails