Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Later... While Drying My Hair

My world was shaken while drying my hair on July 30, 2001.  Little did I know at the time that tragedy was about to strike.  Happy thoughts of peace and content ran through my mind, and unbeknownst to me my father was in trouble.  At that time, while drying my hair, he was swerving to avoid a head on collision.  The wooded, winding road, normally so beautiful and peaceful, this day saw my father to heaven.  I was drying my hair.
 
The sheriff, the neighbor shaking telling us it was bad, the ten mile drive to the hospital, the scene of the accident, the tears, the doctors, saying goodbye to Dad, touching his hand, the prayers in the empty Catholic Church.
 
After the tears, the calm took over.  I was at peace knowing this day was Dad’s day to go home.  Embracing the grief, letting the tears flow freely, talking to family daily.  All of these things came naturally.  No more resistance.  I was going to be OK.

Our world was shaken while I was drying my hair on September 11, 2001.  Little did I know at the time that tragedy was about to strike.  Happy thoughts of peace and content ran through my mind, and unbeknownst to me the world was in trouble.  At that time, while drying my hair, the plane was speeding directly into the World Trade Center.  The New York skyline, normally so beautiful and peaceful against the bright blue sky, saw flames, terror and death.  I was drying my hair.

The second plane, the desperate news, the terrorists, the Pentagon, the confusion, my mind not able to think of anything else, the collapse, the fear, the prayers in my empty car.

After the shock, the tears took over.  Once again my world was shaken, and this time I knew no peace.  The evil shocked me, the tears flowed freely, talking to everyone including strangers.  The prayers this time were conversations with my dad in hopes he could guide me emotionally through this time.

He told me to look at how bright and strong the good was in the world when set against this terrible evil.  How all good people in the world have banded together regardless of religion, race or nationality.  He reminded me that love will always win over hate.  To keep the faith.  He told me I was going to be OK.

Life is short.  Be happy.  Eat your ice cream first.  Your world can change while drying your hair.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails