Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wish No. 11 - Creativity { December Daily 2010 }


Journaling Reads: We started working today on converting a wall in our kitchen to your art center. I finally found a use for all those wine corks Mommy & Daddy collected over the years - most from a Napa Valley trip in 2001. I love the way it turned out, and you love being able to draw on the wall!

YAY! Our project is complete. We've been working on this since Saturday, hence why my "wishes" are out of order. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and finally decided to jump in and do it. This is an empty wall in our kitchen where we recently placed Sean's little table & chairs (relocated because of the Christmas tree). Jeff and I both mentioned how much we like this little table in the kitchen, and Sean really likes it too for eating and coloring, creating, etc. Friday night during dinner I said, "We really should convert that wall into a chalkboard, and that space could be Sean's creativity center." Jeff agreed... then there was no stopping me.

At first I wanted to do magnetic paint & chalkboard paint, but then I started reading reviews of the magnetic paint which weren't all glowing. Plus, the magnetic paint is fairly pricey at around $20/quart. I really wanted this to be a down dirty cheap project. I then started thinking of a cork strip above a chair rail, and wondered if there were any cork letters on the market. I googled it to no avail. So I searched on etsy, and happy-chanced on a listing that included wine corks and the lightbulb popped on in my head! We have a gazillion wine corks from a Napa Valley trip back in 2001. We had seen really cool wine cork creations (trivets, wreaths, framed cork boards), and thought we could do that ourselves. So we started asking at every wine tasting if they would give us some corks, and a few places gave us bagfuls.


Lo and behold we never did anything with them. Until now. I decided to make a chair rail out of the wine corks. Don't you love it? And it will be a great place to hang up Sean's art projects!


Jeff found an old cabinet kick board we had laying around, and I cleaned it up and starting hot gluing the wine corks to the board. A couple coats of chalkboard paint... a few pieces of trim... and voila! It's complete! I really love it. Total cost = $20.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails