Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Top 40 Billboard



Yep, I’m still stuck on the 40 thing.

I’m only 40 once, so I’m going to suck every last opportunity out of it. I drove down to Indy this past Friday for a girl’s weekend with one of my BFFs, Myrna. We whooped it up eating out, going to the movies, pampering ourselves with pedicures, and shopping. Amazing.

The only downside is I had to drive four and a half hours to get there. So, I loaded up my CD player with some of my favorite songs of all time, and proceeded to sing like Whitney Houston in the privacy of my own car. During this private concert I had the brainstorm idea of documenting my very own Top 40 Billboard… one song for every year of my life.

I’ll be honest, the first five years were a little sketchy when it came to music (except for my Free to Be You and Me album) so I chose songs released in that year that hold some meaning to me. Here we go…

1970 – Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel) … I fell in love with Simon & Garfunkel as a kid. My mom would play their Live in Central Park album at home.

1971 – American Pie (Don McLean) … We recorded ourselves singing this song on a Sears cassette tape recorder.

1972 – I Can See Clearly Now (Johnny Nash) … Not sure why, but it brings back happy memories

1973 – Piano Man (Billy Joel) … One of my all-time favorites from Billy Joel

1974 – Free to Be You & Me (The New Seekers) … I received the Marlo Thomas Free to Be You & Me LP album from my godparents, and played it over and over again. I pretended I was performing on stage.

1975 – How Sweet It Is (James Taylor) … Jeff & I cut our wedding cake to this song. James Taylor is one of my top ten favorites.

1976 – Disco Duck (Rick Dees) … This is the first song I remember singing to in the car while on vacation. I was only six, and I remember my brothers making fun of me.

1977 – We Are the Champions (Queen) … This must be on everyone’s top 40, right?

1978 – Summer Nights (Grease Soundtrack) … Sandy and I would steal our older sisters’ LP and dance and sing to this song over and over and over.

1979 – Message in a Bottle (Police) … The Police symbolized my pre-teen years

1980 – Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd) … Our class picked this song to sing in a school talent show. Catholic school. No joke.

1981 – Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benatar) … This was the first album I remember buying. I was eleven. My brother Mike said he would take me to her concert if mom & dad would allow it.

1982 – Jack & Diane (John Cougar) … I brought this song to school in 6th grade English class as an example of a ballad.

1983 – Safety Dance (Men Without Hats) … only my good friend Donna knows why this is on my list! Ahhh, summer days as a teenager.

1984 – 99 Luftballons (Nena) … everyone’s favorite song in 8th grade.

1985 – St. Elmo’s Fire (John Parr) …. loved this movie and this song. They both remain at the top of my list.

1986 – Bizarre Love Triangle (New Order) … so many memories of dancing to this song in high school.

1987 – I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (U2) … I’m not much of a concert-goer, but I did see U2 twice – Joshua Tree and Zooropa.

1988 – Friends (Michael W. Smith) … The theme song at our high school graduation. Lots of memories wrapped up in this song.

1989 – Stand (REM) … This song whooshes me back to the dorm freshman year.

1990 – Love Shack (B-52s) … This song whooshes me back to drunken parties sophomore year

1991 – Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice) … OK, you’re thinking “really Amy?” This isn’t a favorite song of mine, but it does hold funny memories of my overseas study trip to the Netherlands. Word to your what???

1992 – These Are Days (10,000 Maniacs) … I dubbed this the theme song of my college years. Those were the days!!

1993 – Closer to Free (BoDeans) … This song whooshes me back to bar hopping in my 20s

1994 – If I Ever Lose My Faith in You (Sting) … because you have to have Sting on your Top 40

1995 – You Oughta Know (Alannis Morissette) … One of the best “chicks rule” songs ever

1996 – Just a Girl (No Doubt)… the second best “chicks rule” song of my time.

1997 – Good Riddance (Green Day) … love this song for its melody, lyrics and simplicity

1998 – All For You (Sister Hazel) … This song appeared on a Valentine’s CD I made for Jeff the year we started dating (which was 2000. I know. I'm confused too. I was a laggard when it comes to music).

1999 – Angel (Sara McLachlan) … I fell in love with this song from the City of Angels soundtrack. Great movie too.

2000 – I Try (Macy Gray) … raw. pure. real. I turned 30 this year and met Jeff.

2001 – No Such Thing (John Mayer) … this song made me realize how quickly I was getting “old”

2002 – From This Moment On (Shania Twain ) … Our Wedding Song. Our first dance was choreographed, and every time I hear this song now I try to remember the steps.

2003 –Bring Me to Life (Evanescence) … I hated this song at first, but now it’s an all-time favorite.

2004 – 100 Years (Five for Fighting) … another song that made me realize how quickly I was aging.

2005 – Unwritten (Natasha Bedingfield) … this was my theme song during my struggle with infertility

2006 – Suddenly I See (K.T. Tunstall) … I had an a-ha moment listening to this song while walking through the woods at Vet Acres.

2007 – Upside Down (Jack Johnson) … the theme song of the year Sean was born

2008 – 1, 2, 3, 4 (Plain White T’s) … it’s pretty simple = there’s only ONE thing TWO do THREE words FOUR you… I love you.

2009 – I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas) … makes me wish I was twenty-something again bar hopping. Um, not really. Instead I sing it at the top of my lungs while driving {imagine embarrassing head bobbing and finger tapping on the steering wheel… thank goodness Sean is still young enough to get a kick out of me}

2010 – Fireflies (Owl City) … Dreams. Hope. Fireflies. Can’t get much better than this.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails